Monday

I have a complex

Since I can remember, I've thrown up a total of four times. In chronological order:
  1. It was in morning before school. I threw up in the kitchen sick. I don't remember what I ate or why I threw up. I was probably 10 or 11.
  2. I had food poisoning from Taco Bell. This is the one and only time I attempted to drink the pink stuff because I immediately threw it up and continued to puke for the next 12 hours. I was 17 or 18.
  3. I had food poisoning from Chipotle. I ate at the Chipotle in Columbia, Mo while visiting a friend at Mizzou. Again, I threw up for 12 hours straight and missed the only senior seminar class of the year that was required. The professor passed me anyway. I was 22.
  4. When we got back from Key West in March, I dry-heaved for several hours before throwing up one time. I was 29.
As you can see, I'm not one of those people who can just get it out and feel better. I've only been sick for hours at a time. Not only do I have a serious aversion to anyone about to throw up, but if you even mention that you might feel a little sick, my stomach literally drops. I don't really feel like I'm going to be sick too, more like a nervous/anxious feeling. If we are in a closed space, such as a car, when someone says they don't feel well, I literally start shaking because it bothers me that I cannot get away from that person. It's very strange and I'm beginning to think I'm the only one with this issue.

2 comments:

Katie O'Something said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetophobia

Nope, not the only one with this issue.

Sarah with a Sweet Tooth said...

I've seen that before. I don't think I'm as extreme as some of the symptoms - obviously I don't avoid bars or drinking establishments. I do get overly paranoid when people are drinking though...