Tomorrow is NYE. I'll be at work all day if you need me.
Probably one of the best presents I received was this painting my uncle painted for me. He likes to paint a lot of country-settings and landscapes, so I showed him a photo I took of my favorite place to lay out on my lunch break when I worked at the college. He thought it would be a cool photo for inspiration and asked me to send it to him. Little did I know he was scheming to make it my Christmas present. If only I had a new house to hang my new original artwork in...
This is the original photo I took.
(If you want to buy one of his paintings, you can visit him here.)
Last night his grandma gave him 2 new toys and I let him eat a pita chip today, which he seemed to thoroughly enjoy.
Here's dad and hubby showing off the matching Stan Musial autographed baseballs I got them.
We all opened our gifts and last night on the way home we tried out hubby's new toy - a TomTom GPS for the car. It was pretty accurate, except it DID NOT want us to take 127 south. At every street in Nashville, it kept telling us to turn around and go back. Then it wanted us to go over to 51 through DuQuoin. So finally hubby turned it off because it would not stop yelling at us. We are going to try it again tomorrow on the way to my aunt's house because I seem to get confused every time I go through St. Paul, MO. If you've never done it, you should really try it sometime.
Today is Christmas Eve, which means we'll spend the evening with hubby's family. Then tomorrow morning, we will wake up, do Christmas with my sister-in-law, her fiance and our niece. After that we'll be driving to St. Paul, Mo., to my aunt's house for another Christmas. It's a full day of driving and Christmases.
It's called multi-tasking folks.
- I'm almost finished wrapping presents.
- I'm having sharp shoulder pains, which may or may not be a direct result of wrapping presents. Could also be from the awkward way I used the blow-dryer this morning with my head upside down.
- The bosses cooked us breakfast this morning. I'd already eaten my new fav breakfast sammy, so I ate two breakfasts...
- We also have a HUGE container of harry and david chocolates, including those amazing malt balls in our office.
- I've probably gained 4 lbs in the last 3 days.
- I'm starting WW again, for reals this time - I promise, in January.
- Poor General is going to miss out on our family Christmas (and by "our" I mean me, hubby and dog) because my aunt will not allow him in her house and it's just too much of a hassle to drive all over the place just to drop him off on Christmas day, so we're forced to leave him with his grandparents. When we have kids, I will not be doing all this driving back and forth for the holidays. You heard it here first. Be prepared to come to our house if you want to see our cute little offspring in a couple of years.
In other news, I'm really missing my old job tonight because of all the bad weather headed our way. I used to have the possibility of a snow day when I worked in education, but I doubt the hospital will have a snow day, ever. I also don't get two weeks off for Christmas break (and they actually called it Christmas break and not Holiday break, which a completely other topic). In fact, I don't get any holidays. I have to take ETO for all of them.
They all have this process down to a science. They know exactly where to park, how to get a locker to continually pack bags full of gifts in throughout the day so you don't have to carry them around. They choose excellent places to eat to continually refuel (shopping like this will take it out of you!)
Maybe this is poor planning -we'll find out soon - but I have done very little shopping so far this holiday season. The only people I'm completely finished with are my dad and my hubby.
This year, the trip is coming to me instead of me driving up with them. We are planning on going out to eat with B and A Friday night and meeting up with everyone else at the Galleria on Saturday. Even my mom is going to shop for a while! I'm not sure what hubby will do all day Saturday while I'm shopping. I wish he'd shop with me but I doubt that will happen.
So when I arrived at 2:50, when the bake-off judging did not officially begin until 4 pm, and everyone was freaking out because no one was there to tell them where to place their baked good, and there were no signs available to label their goods!!! The absurdity of that!!!
It ended up calming down when my co-chair arrived with the signs and labels, and the judging went great. Because I was not a judge, I decided to enter the Celeste Special, aka Oreo Balls. If you have not had an oreo ball in your mouth yet, you are seriously missing out in life. (that's what she said.)
Well it turns out, I can make a mean Oreo Ball because I ended up winning!! I did not win "best in show" but I did win the "no-bake" category. Boo-Yah! I can't cook, but I can no-bake!
How the Sweet 100 Works:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Italicize any items that you would never consider eating.
1. Red Velvet Cake
2. Princess Torte
3. Whoopie Pie
4. Apple Pie either topped or baked with sharp cheddar - no, but i'd try it!
7. Black and White Cookie
8. Seven Layer Bar (also known as the Magic Bar or Hello Dolly bars)
9. Fried Fruit pie (sometimes called hand pies)
11. Just-fried (still hot) doughnut
12. Scone with clotted cream
13. Betty, Grunt, Slump, Buckle or Pandowdy
16. Banana Pudding with nilla wafers
17. Bubble tea (with tapioca “pearls”) - love it!
18. Dixie Cup
19. Rice Krispie treats
23. Girl Scout cookies
24. Moon cake
25. Candy Apple
26. Baked Alaska
27. Brooklyn Egg Cream
28. Nanaimo bar
29. Baba au rhum
30. King Cake
33. Tres Leches Cake
35. Shoofly Pie
36. Key Lime Pie (made with real key lime)
37. Panna Cotta
38. New York Cheesecake
40. Russian Tea Cake/Mexican Wedding Cake
41. Anzac Biscuits
46. Moon Pie
47. Dutch Baby
48. Boston Cream Pie
49. Homemade chocolate chip cookies
51. Gooey butter cake
54. Green tea cake or cookies
55. Cupcakes from a cupcake shop
56. Creme Brulee
57. Some sort of deep fried fair food (twinkie, candy bar, cupcake) - snickers from the DuQuoin fair!
58. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting
59. Jelly Roll
60. Pop Tarts
61. Charlotte Russe
62. An “upside down” dessert (Pineapple upside down cake or Tarte Tatin)
63. Hummingbird Cake
64. Jell-O from a mold
65. Black forest cake
66. Mock Apple Pie (Ritz Cracker Pie)
68. Linzer torte
71. Angel Food Cake
72. Mincemeat pie
74. Opera Cake
75. Sfogliatelle / Lobster tail
76. Pain au chocolat
77. A piece of Gingerbread House
80. Rainbow cookies
82. Petits fours
83. Chocolate Souffle
84. Bienenstich (Bee Sting Cake)
87. Homemade marshmallows - from RUSTY!
88. Rigo Janci
89. Pie or cake made with candy bar flavors (Snickers pie, Reeses pie, etc)
90. Divinity -meh didn't really like it
91. Coke or Cola cake
92. Gateau Basque
94. Figgy Pudding
95. Bananas foster or other flaming dessert
96. Joe Froggers
98. Millionaire’s Shortbread
99. Animal crackers
Because we will be spending less on our families' presents, we decided to splurge a little bit on ourselves. We are young enough and have very little invested in the stock market, so we aren't really feeling all this mumbo-jumbo about a recession.
In an effort to lose a little bit of weight and improve our health, we bought a nice big treadmill for our house. I think that when you are looking at these monstrosities in the store, their size is misleading due to the high ceilings and concrete flooring of the sports megastore. When you bring them home though, hubby's idea that he "can just fold it up and roll it into the bedroom" was severely off kilter. Instead, this 300-lb monster is hanging out in my living room, and I can barely budge it with all my force.*
So much for my tough guy hubby being able to "roll it into the bedroom..."
*EDIT NOTE: Just to clarify, my husband is probably one of the most physically-strong people you will meet, should you meet him. I'll bet you $50 he can beat you at arm-wrestle and bench press your body weight, maybe even 2x your body weight if your name is JLB soon to be JLF.