Monday

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage rolls, aka stuffed cabbage, is what we had for dinner tonight. Most recipes I checked out said to cook the meat after rolling, but I thought it would be faster if I browned the beef, then rolled and just heated in the oven for 20 minutes. It was a pretty simple recipe, but took me over an hour from start to finish. I also used beef from our cow instead of ground turkey. 

Here's what I did:
12 cabbage pieces, boiled

Combine for filling:
1 lb ground beef (or turkey) - browned
3/4 c. brown rice, cooked
1/2 c. shredded carrot
2 T. italian seasoning
1 egg
2 T tomato soup

Combine for sauce:
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)
10 oz can condensed tomato soup
2 T cornstarch mixed with 1/2 c. water
2 T vinegar

The cabbage is boiling. I couldn't separate it nicely pre-cooking, so I threw the whole darn thing in the water. I'd recommend that, but then put it back in after you peel a few layers off. The inside was still raw.

Obviously, this is the filling.

 This is right before going in the oven.

 This is fresh out of the oven.




No comments: