Monday

Fresh-picked apple pie

This weekend I discovered two things about my father in law's house. There are apple trees and a pecan tree in the front yard!!. I've only been going to that house since 2004 when the hubs and I started dating, but no one ever told me that either of these things existed!!! The tree shown at the top of this photo is one of those secret apple trees. So you can see how far it is from the house, and usually I don't go walking across the yard to investigate tree types.


I brought home a bag of golden delicious apples that are just starting to be ripe. I kept three to eat plain and turned the rest into this:


If you are interested in the recipe, I sort of combined a few, but mostly using the plaid cookbook's version. I took a tip from Alton Brown and let the apple sit in their sugar/lemon juice for 90 minutes in a colander, dripping into a bowl. That way when you bake them, they don't have the puffed up crust because the sugar has already shrunk them a bit. Something like that - if you want to know the details, ask Alton.

Here's what I used:
9 small apples, peeled, cored, sliced.
1/4 cup sugar
2 T lemon juice

Then, boil the juice you collect in the bowl under the sugar apples to make about 2T sweet apple concentrate juice. Mix that with the apples.
Add:
1/2 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1/8 t salt
2 T flour

Throw that in the crust you just made or bought. I bought. It's meh, because I didn't have time to go to trader joe's. I prefer their pie crust.

No comments: