Saturday

Bacon talks

For the first year or so that the hubs and I were dating, we would split our time between my parents' house and his dad's. It was rare that we would wake up at my FIL's house without bacon or sausage being cooked. Friends of the hubs say they remember bacon being at the hubs house growing up every weekend. Whatever isn't finished at breakfast is put on a plate and nibbled on throughout the day.

Don't get me wrong, I like bacon as much as the next gal, but I don't eat it every weekend. I probably eat it six times a year for breakfast. (I know bacon is in other things that we eat, but I'm talking about cooking bacon for breakfast.) Today, I cooked bacon in the oven (on a rack with a baking sheet to catch the grease at 400 for 15 minutes if you wanna try it) and it was awesome!

I've tried this once before, but it was still to mushy for my tastes. I like my bacon crispy - which is why pan-frying is my usual go-to mess. Today, I left it in a few minutes longer and it was crispy enough for me. It's a little more flat than pan-frying and not quite as crunchy, but still good and much easier to clean up. I lined the baking sheet with foil, so just let it cool and throw it away.

Or if you are in the boat that thinks bacon grease is the best thing ever to cook with, save that grease and then throw away the foil.

No comments: