Thursday

A rant about family

Family is an odd thing. I never really considered the fact that some families do not get along until I met my hubby. I knew people got divorced, but I just figured they didn't get along from the beginning and they weren't family to start with. When he told me that he no longer talks to his cousins because of family drama (that I will not detail here), I was astounded to say the least. Everyone in my family - on both sides - has always been fun to see at family gatherings, speaks to each other on the phone and is generally happy-go-lucky. Maybe we are the odd ones out? \

Now, as a married woman (for almost two years!!!) I'm realizing that Michael and I need to do what's best for us and our family, and not really worry about the outliers of our family unit. I'm tired of trying to please everyone and being pushed around. My parents are both pretty easy-going, and I think they get taken advantage of sometimes. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking it's okay to be put in a situation and not stand up for themselves, so I will not be setting that example.

and for the record, I'm extremely classy.

No comments: