Monday

How big is your heart?

This is a semi-disgusting picture, but it's eye-opening and I promise that is not bacon.

This is a photo I took for work of actual hearts (I work at a hospital) at a seminar given by a dietitian. She was teaching people the difference between what a healthy heart looks like (on the right) and an unhealthy heart (the big guy in the middle). Your heart should be the size of your fist. The heart on the right was bigger than my fist, but I have pretty slender hands, and I don't know what that person looked like. The unhealthy heart is obviously that of an overweight or maybe even obese person. When you are overweight, your heart has to work harder to pump the blood because your arteries are full of junk and the blood can't flow freely. So it is forced to get bigger to work harder which is not a good thing, folks. Also, that whitish stuff on both hearts is fat. Keep that in mind next time you want to order fried food.

No comments: