Sunday

Crock o'chicken

I cooked some chicken in a crockpot today. It was so simple and so, so good. This was my first time to cook just meat (or anything other than soup/chili) in the crock. The hubs and I went to lowes today and started on a home improvement project so I knew I wouldn't want to cook this evening. So we are making some Spanish rice, black beans and corn to go with it.

If you want to try it, here's what I did:
Put 1 lb frozen chicken breast, one can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, some taco seasoning and about two cups of homemade salsa in the crock for about 6 hours. I switched from high to medium about half way because it was sticking to the bottom.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Hurray! Thanks for posting this! Not that it matters much, but what kind of frozen chicken breast do you buy? I typically just buy regular boneless skinless breasts and then freeze them in individual little bags. I've had bad experiences with Walmart brand frozen chicken. I swear they inject it with 1/2 a cup of water per breast.

Sarah with a Sweet Tooth said...

yeah I only buy my meat products from dierbergs. I usually buy their chicken or tyson all natural chicken if it's on sale.

Katie O'Something said...

If anyone is going to re-make this, here is my original recipe (that I gave to Sarah):

4 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or about 1 lb)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 packet taco seasoning (I usually just make my own with chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, and garlic powder)

1 cup salsa

Cook in crockpot on low for 8 hours and you should have no sticking/burning. A half hour before eating, shred chicken in the crockpot to soak up the extra liquid/broth/whatever you call it. At this point you can add a 1/2 cup of sour cream, but I skipped this part in favor of topping it with melted cheese later. It should have the consistency of pulled pork. Yum!