Wednesday

Thoughts spurred by a funeral

Last night the hubs and I went to a funeral for a woman I'd never met. She is the sister of one of the hubs' friends and his parents were good friends with her parents when they were growing up, so he felt like we should go. Plus it's a really sad story.

As I'm waiting in line to shake hands with/hug her parents, this woman got to me. I'm looking at all of the pictures of her kids and family, all smiles. I'm wondering when the next time these kids will smile, knowing their mom is not ever coming home.

When I finally get to the front of the line, I shake hands and say I'm sorry. As we are walking away, I realize that I'm one lucky girl because I've never had to be that person. I've never stood next to the casket waiting for everyone to come to me.

And for that I'm thankful. I'm SO thankful. I am healthy. The hubs is healthy. Both of my parents and my sister are still living and healthy. I still have one grandparent left and she seems healthy.

So often, I try to improve myself, to work with my body and my lifestyle to make things better. But sometimes it might be better to just be happy with what I already have.

No comments: